Thursday, July 14, 2016

How Bloggers & Digital Influencers Make Money in 2016/2017

0:06
what's up guys my name is here and welcome back to my blog
0:13
no i am not about to go on record a new album I was at a friend's wedding over
0:17
the weekend and i'm still covering so as you can see by the title of this week's
0:22
video it is quite a controversial topic and it is something that has definitely
0:26
been in the mouths of the public here in order for quite if you want to know
0:30
I think at this stage it's no secret that social media influencers bloggers
0:34
and youtubers can and do earn money off of their content but how does it all
0:39
really work over the past few months I've been reached out to buy so many
0:43
different media publications here in Ireland that I've asked me questions
0:46
about how i feel about it - I disclosed walkers on how much money do you earn
0:52
and I try and be as open with them as possible but i thought this would be the
0:55
perfect platform to just have at shadow notice and talk about my experiences and
1:00
also i want to preface this video by saying that not everybody with a blog or
1:05
social media page earns money from it
1:07
a lot of people simply do it as a hobby for their passion they do it alongside
1:11
having another job and they don't have any revenue for us and maybe they don't
1:15
want to at all
1:15
first anything that there's absolutely no problem in earning around you from
1:19
something that you are so passionate about as you guys know I work full-time
1:23
on my blog I also do some presenting work as well but my blog is a huge part
1:28
of how I earn my living
1:29
how I make my weight before i get into explaining the main ways that is a
1:34
blogger and money from my website i wanted to talk a little bit about the
1:38
situation in general here in Ireland and how that's involved
1:41
well at the moment there are so many articles popping up about this subject
1:45
about bloggers earning money through their work about disclosure about
1:49
honesty about credibility and it's a very good conversation to be having I
1:53
think it's a really good thing for us to be talking about this for people to be
1:56
asking questions last year the asai which the advertising standards
2:00
authority of ireland issued a new regular
2:03
oceans that basically meant that if a social influence or if the water was
2:08
being paid to promote or endorse a product that they have to state this
2:13
using the relevant you know sponsored spot or add hashtags on whatever
2:17
platform it was that they were promoting the product so it basically means that
2:21
they have to declare or disclose that they were working with a broad so their
2:24
readers would know that what they were looking at was essentially an
2:27
advertisement
2:28
you'll often see it under some of my post on your hashtag SP or a hashtag
2:32
spawn so you guys know but I also talk about it openly in my blog post i'll put
2:37
a disclaimer at the end and all that stuff you might be wondering why is it
2:40
that brands are so eager to work with bloggers and digital sensors and I
2:44
myself didn't really understand this for a very long time
2:46
and the reason is that advertising is changing so quickly here in and out of
2:51
the rest of the world we use the term Millennials to describe our generation
2:55
and we are constantly on our phones we are constantly plugged in and were not
2:59
digesting traditional media in the same way that we were before and this
3:03
basically means we're fast forwarding through our ads were ignoring billboards
3:08
that we see on the street because we're on her phone we're not reading as many
3:11
newspapers or magazines as we were before
3:14
we're not consuming advertising in the same way that we used to
3:17
so brands and advertising companies now have to work in different ways so they
3:21
can get the same amount of eyeballs which is the same out of people watching
3:25
their advertisements and knowing about the product
3:28
so the reason why a brand would want to work with a blogger or an influencer is
3:32
because they are in curated a following of people
3:35
so this audience might have a specific age demographic a specific gender they
3:39
might have specific interests and if a brand is clever
3:43
they can choose an influencer that really directly aligns with their audio
3:47
and if they do that correctly it's a fantastic way of advertising and it
3:51
really is very valuable for the ground
3:53
so given the amount of value that the Browns are the advertiser gets through
3:57
working with the influencer
3:59
it doesn't make a lot of sense that it could be a paid job
4:03
that is a very sorry version of how it all works but again it's different for
4:07
every person is different for every brand its evolving so quickly and there
4:11
is no rule book
4:12
so speaking from personal experience i've been blogging for five years that
4:16
the bulk of the work that I've been doing to my blog has been in the past
4:19
two years and it was when I started to look at my blog is business and I try to
4:24
grow it and shape it and build my own brand
4:27
that was when things started to kick off the gear and more work sorry coming my
4:32
way
4:32
so like I said before my blog is now a full-time job I also do
4:36
presenting work as well the rather than rounding on too much i'm going to try to
4:40
break it down
4:41
I'm going to start by talking about the four main ways that I or that other
4:46
bloggers can earn money so the first and probably the primary way that I earn
4:50
money through my blog is through sponsored content
4:52
sponsored content can vary but it is basically when a brand pays you to
4:58
feature them in your content so I'm predominantly a fashion blogger
5:03
so how is usually works for me is with a fashion brand so they might have me
5:09
choose some pieces from their collection and start it up into an outfit and shoot
5:13
for my blog and some of the bigger collaborations that I've done in the
5:16
past few years would have been with thomas sabo we did a really fun
5:21
collaboration in Paris
5:23
i also worked with little Lords i did a really fun campaign resending with a
5:27
little
5:27
it's mostly fashion brands and the way that I work with them as i get to decide
5:32
how i produce the content i had to decide
5:36
basically what it looks like but i'm featuring their brand in it now as a
5:40
rule i only work with brands that I genuinely liked and I only work with
5:45
brands that I think that you guys will
5:47
like and while you know every so often I do have some sponsored content
5:52
I turn down why he's a lot of offers i turn down a lot more offers
5:58
then I accept and that's in no way meant to be dragging it would rather limited
6:04
to just the ones that i think will work really well and I feel really passionate
6:08
about and thankfully because I've been so strict
6:12
now i'm getting some really amazing offers so I'm really able to comfortably
6:16
say yes to only the projects that I really love
6:18
so this sponsored content works much the same as any other freelance work you
6:22
have a chat with the brown beforehand
6:24
there might be a contract involved there might not be you will decide on how
6:28
we're going to produce the content you want to be given a deadline content will
6:32
be published and then you'll send an invoice and it just works just the same
6:36
as so many other jobs in the media stylist journalists they work with
6:40
bronze the invoice them and then down the page and maybe 30 days sometimes a
6:44
lot more
6:45
the second way that I would earn revenue to my blog is by a video marketing and
6:50
this is something that some of you might not have heard before but it's actually
6:52
very simple
6:53
so if you think about a salesperson in a clothing shop they often work on a
6:57
commission basis as well so if they make a sale or they refer a fail
7:01
they're given a percentage of the amount that that person Spain's so this is the
7:05
same with affiliate marketing
7:07
I am signed up to one of the world's if not the world's biggest affiliate
7:11
marketing company is called reward style
7:13
it's absolutely fantastic and it's international I've been with them for a
7:16
bios three years now at how they work is they have so many bronze on their
7:23
network most of the brands that I actually work with they have topshop
7:27
boohoo river island a sauce misguided pretty little thing and a huge
7:31
department stores they have luxury online
7:34
the stores there is such a huge huge huge number of bronze on their network
7:38
so it allows me to create content like I normally would
7:41
I don't have to plug one brand on my blog just because i'm learning
7:45
commission from it because it enables me to earn when somebody buys anything for
7:49
my web site so i always like to see my website at the shopping resource and
7:53
that is how i have tried to build it over the past few years
7:56
I always like to help you guys if you have any particular queries if you're
7:59
looking for a specific outfit or if you have any border worries i always like to
8:03
help you solve them
8:04
so what's happening is a lot of people are now coming to my website where they
8:08
want to go shopping
8:09
they look at the outfits that I've been putting together they look at the
8:12
shopping edits that I've created for the email me directly with questions about
8:15
what to buy for what occasion
8:17
so then when they click on a link on my website that directs them to let's say a
8:21
sauce or river island
8:23
boohoo and they spend a certain amount of money a percentage of what they spend
8:27
then is awarded to me now it takes a long time for it to come through it
8:32
takes about three months for a sail too close that's what they call it it still
8:36
you know nothing in saying boss
8:40
it definitely helps you know it's part of my way to iron
8:44
it's also a very interesting one because I can directly monitor through a
8:47
analytics and whose body walk through a website where people respond to what
8:51
they don't respond to and it makes me really happy to think that you guys come
8:55
to me is the shopping resource
8:56
the third way that I would earn revenue to my blog is through hosting work and
9:01
appearances
9:02
so this is something that kind of ties into the presenting work that i do but i
9:06
often get booked to host an event to appear at an event they might work out
9:11
whether they want you to do any social media activity while you're there or if
9:15
they want you to be impressed pictures but it's basically your attendance your
9:20
physical attendance being required as an event there holding the fourth and final
9:25
way that I would earn money through my blog is through sponsored social media
9:29
content
9:30
this is very similar to the first one that i mentioned which will be sponsored
9:34
block on
9:35
and and this one is becoming a lot more popular recently so brands are really
9:40
looking at social media accounts as a way of advertising
9:43
they're looking at snapchat Instagram Facebook Twitter and they are working
9:48
with influences like me to get their message across to the ground so it works
9:52
in very much the same way as the first one I explained for me personally I
9:56
always make sure that i am picking what I'm saying how I'm saying is if there's
10:00
any imagery involved I'm taking the imagery myself or I'm you know deciding
10:05
what kind of imagery is going to be
10:07
and again this will always be attached with a hashtag sponsor or a hashtag SP
10:13
or hashtag add at the end so i am very careful about the sponsors social media
10:17
content that I do and what I do get behind something is because i really
10:22
enjoy it and I definitely really endorse it so if you do see it then you'll know
10:27
that it's sincere always want to make sure that the content that I producing
10:30
is one hundred percent organic to me and my interest in my voice because you are
10:35
my audience and I have curated you and nurtured you for so many years and I
10:39
just don't want to do anything that would make you question my credibility
10:43
or you know get try and get something for an easy paycheck
10:47
another thing that I wanted to quickly touch on in this video is how an
10:52
audience response to sponsored content
10:54
so if your publisher of your blogger or a social-media influencer and you're
10:58
worried about your audience not responding to your sponsored content
11:03
well with all the sponsored content that i have produced over the past few years
11:08
on my blog
11:09
I have only ever gotten support for my readers they've only ever been lovely
11:13
about it
11:14
I've got a couple of questions here and there are people might ask if something
11:17
is sponsored but I've never gotten any negativity for us and I think there's
11:21
one simple reason why I always make sure that if i include sponsored content
11:26
all my pages whether it's a blog post whether it's a social media post
11:30
I make damn sure that that content is just as good as any other content that
11:36
you'll find out my page
11:38
I make sure that my readers will get the same amount of value from it
11:42
they got the same amount of enjoyment from it as they would any other article
11:46
that was on sponsored so this means that a reader knows that if i say that i'm
11:50
working with the ground next week or next month
11:53
they know that they're going to enjoy the content just as much as they would
11:57
anything else that I products and that means that they support me and it means
12:01
that I can work with brands in this way
12:04
and obviously earn a living so I can continue to produce content that they
12:07
like I think with all the talk of sponsorships and credited with bloggers
12:12
you do hear people say that you know some bloggers only post if they're paid
12:16
to that only post if there's a paycheck behind it maybe that's true for some
12:21
bloggers but it certainly isn't for me and I produce between three and four new
12:26
articles on your authority . com every single week and I produce one YouTube
12:31
video week if you think about it that's a whole lot of content being produced a
12:35
month and maybe about two to three of those articles will be sponsored
12:40
I've never done a sponsor youtube video shoot edit and write three to four
12:46
articles a week on key road RT . home
12:48
essentially for free you know I don't see it as being for free if this is my
12:52
full-time job
12:52
I should be constantly creating content so I feel like even if I publish a post
12:56
that doesn't have a paycheck attached to it for me personally I still see it is
13:01
being so valuable because it creates more content for you to enjoy which
13:06
builds my blog which then brings more sponsored content
13:10
so if you are a blogger and if you're wondering about you know how to make
13:15
sponsored content
13:16
work for you take my advice trees is like a business and make sure that
13:21
you're producing quality content regularly and giving your readers as
13:25
much value as you possibly can give them as much free content as you possibly can
13:30
so then when you do start to work with browns it will be absolutely fine and
13:34
that is the best advice I can give you as a blogger on the subject that is how
13:39
i have donors and I honestly think it is the best way
13:42
so if you are someone who enjoys reading blogs you love watching YouTube channels
13:46
you know following people on social media and you don't think that sponsored
13:50
content is right then I think you should really have another think about it and
13:54
think about just how much content those bloggers are giving you on a regular
13:59
basis and think about the fact that if they work with a brown it obviously
14:03
enables them to support themselves through their blog those giving more
14:07
time and energy into delivering the content that you like to watch
14:11
so there's one thing that I haven't really touched on in this video yet and
14:14
that is exactly how much influencers & lotteries earned from the work that they
14:18
do and that's because I don't have an answer for you guys because every
14:22
blogger is so different their earning potential is different people have
14:26
different sized following they have different packages that they offer
14:29
brands and that will affect how much they earn in terms of fees
14:33
there are so many figures being thrown around in the media right now
14:36
and while some of them i think are a little bit exaggerated some of them are
14:39
actually spot on
14:41
I'm obviously not going to disclose how much I learned from blogging because
14:44
it's a really really personal thing to answer and i don't think that anybody
14:48
else in any other location would be expected to declare how much money
14:52
they're earning unless you're a politician
14:54
I'm not a politician so but what I will say is that I never expected to be able
15:01
to earn a living from this kind of work when i started it
15:05
I had no idea that it would ever call my job i started it for a passion and to be
15:10
able to grow that passion into a business has been absolutely incredible
15:14
it has been such a learning experience
15:16
it has been full of ups and downs
15:19
mostly ups and it has been absolutely incredible and thankfully you know my
15:24
business is growing all the time I put so much time and work into it logging as
15:30
an industry is so so young and it is growing and evolving all the time but i
15:35
have somebody who works in the industry
15:38
I am so happy to see regulations coming in i'm so happy to see people talking
15:42
about it to see people asking questions because i think it validates that even
15:47
work having this open discourse about this industry about it ethics about
15:51
disclosure is so important because it means that when people are running their
15:56
business ethically they can stand on stronger feet and they can be proud of
16:01
what they created
16:02
I have absolutely no idea where the industry is going to go but I know that
16:06
what I've built with you guys and the connection that I've built with you
16:10
means that wherever I end up taking this blog i will be sure to take you guys
16:14
along with me so I hope you guys enjoyed this slightly more controversial video
16:19
I tried to speak as candidly as I could and just have a really relaxed to chat
16:24
with you guys about the whole thing and i really do hope that it has you know
16:27
maybe explain things a little bit better to you guys but of course if you have
16:31
any other questions about anything please don't hesitate to let me know now
16:35
that i have officially spill the tea on how I earn money as a blogger

1 comment:

  1. You can earn $20 for a 20 minute survey!

    Guess what? This is exactly what major companies are paying for. They need to know what their customer needs and wants. So big companies pay millions of dollars every month to the average person. In return, the average person, like me and you, answers some questions and gives them their opinion.

    ReplyDelete