Thursday, July 14, 2016

How To Set Up (and KILL it) With Instagram Ads

0:00
in this article I'm gonna show you how to kill it with Instagram ads
0:19
business owners santa came early this year because Instagram ads are here I've
0:26
been messing with him for a week and I've been getting stellar results
0:29
traffic to my blog upton's e-commerce purchases but traffics cheap because not
0:35
everyone is in on the game and it's time for you to learn so you can get in on
0:38
the ground floor and get while the gettin is good for the very first thing
0:42
you have in place before you can even start running Instagram ads is to link
0:46
your Instagram account with your Facebook business page so from your page
0:50
go to settings and in the left margin you're gonna see a little icon says
0:55
Instagram ads click on that and then select Add Account simply enter your
1:00
username and password and hit confirm then you should see your username and
1:06
your avatar showing up right in the box once your Facebook page in your
1:10
Instagram account are connected the next step
1:14
has to be done from the Chrome Web browser the reason is as of right now
1:18
the only way you can add edit or delete any Instagram ads are from a facebook
1:24
power editor and the only way you can use the Facebook power editor is in the
1:28
Chrome Web browser if you are unfamiliar with Facebook's power editor don't be
1:32
intimidated a walk you through exactly what you have to do to get your
1:35
Instagram adds up and running from your Facebook page just go to the upper right
1:40
hand corner click the little down arrow and select Manage ads from the Facebook
1:45
Ads manager select our editor again this part will only work if you're using the
1:52
Chrome Web browser otherwise you run into some snags when you select power
1:56
editor in the power editor make sure you're selecting the top tier folder
2:00
which is the campaign's folder and you want to create a new campaign named your
2:06
campaign something recognizable that you can come back to my understanding is
2:10
right now
2:11
Instagram ads are limited to clicks to a website which is fine you can use to
2:16
promote a YouTube video a press release a blog post a product page
2:21
anything you can get them to click out to a website from Instagram as far as
2:25
buying type I recommend you just stick with the auction system that they have
2:28
until you're a bit more advanced
2:30
you know what you're doing next you want to create an ad set is exactly what it
2:36
sounds like it's a set of specific ads within your campaign then of course you
2:40
want to create a new ad then click Create text you want to click over to
2:45
add sets and this is where you're going to set your budget for the adds another
2:52
purpose of an ad set is to run multiple versions of the same ad with the same
2:58
targeting and budget parameters and see which ad does better you can either set
3:02
a daily budget something like $25 a day and then once they run out of $25 worth
3:06
of website clicks whatever those clicks cost to get them they're gonna stop
3:11
showing your head or you can set a lifetime budget saying I want to get as
3:15
many clicks as I can for three hundred and fifty bucks between this start date
3:20
and ending date I prefer to have a daily budget and just let it run until I feel
3:27
like that it isn't performing a tiny deposit and create a new version or it's
3:32
running so well only continue to experiment with this ad said and see if
3:35
I can outdo myself you can also schedule times of day run ads all the time
3:40
run ads on a schedule like it will only appear between nine and five on
3:44
Wednesdays and Fridays however if you do that this is only available with the
3:50
lifetime budget settings and then there's audience this is the thing I'm
3:55
most excited about on Instagram Instagram is a facebook company we
4:00
haven't picked up on that yet and even though Instagram doesn't collect a lot
4:03
of information about their users compared to facebook facebook has a
4:07
really good idea which of their users have Instagram accounts because they've
4:11
linked to their accounts and people often share what they post on Instagram
4:14
on Facebook as well that means we can take advantage of Facebook's data set
4:19
and apply that targeting to the really simple environment of Instagram so as
4:25
his audience we're gonna be targeting is anyone the United States between 18 and
4:29
65 + so basically every adults in the United States which we don't want to do
4:36
because they're as again
4:37
more expensive so we want to get his targeted it as possible you can choose a
4:41
new audience by editing or if you have something saved from a previous Facebook
4:46
ad say you can start applying that your Instagram ads instantly just select 20
4:50
or saved audiences I like targeting so we're gonna have some fun with this I
4:56
don't know what I'm posting on Instagram yet but i wanna target everybody that
5:00
lives in Iowa you'll notice over here in the upper right-hand corner that the
5:05
potential reach has changed and it was United States was quite a bit larger now
5:10
I every started my audience to 1.8 million people only want to target women
5:15
now is down to a million people let's say between the ages of 45 and 55 look
5:25
at that now I am down to a hundred and eighty thousand people let's get more
5:30
specific I only want people that are married now we're down to 95,000 people
5:39
let's select education level has gone a doctoral degrees here we got our
5:48
targeting three hundred and ten people at select English now we're down to
5:55
three hundred people that means we cut out ten people by specifying English and
6:00
let's say we only want people that are interested in Oreo cookies twenty people
6:06
so this is getting a little to target its gonna back off and maybe say I don't
6:13
care what their education status is now back up to 1,300 people so according to
6:17
Facebook there's only twenty people in all of Iowa that are female between the
6:24
ages of 45 and 55 they have doctoral degrees and actually like Oreo cookies
6:28
and then if you want to use this audience in the future so you don't have
6:32
to go through these settings every single time just click Save audience and
6:36
then name it something next time you hit Save and you can see we've got the
6:40
overview of our audience and who are targeting Instagram announced that as a
6:45
realist are becoming available to all users as of September 30th
6:50
115 but what was not made completely clear is that they were gonna be rolling
6:56
out the availability to advertise slowly throughout October if you don't have an
7:02
Instagram column right here don't worry this became available to me about three
7:07
days after I linked my Instagram account to my business page so make sure your
7:13
accounts are linked and then if you're OCD like me you log into power editor
7:18
and try to create an ad probably three times a day for three days to a week
7:22
looking hoping and waiting for this to show up if it is available to you and
7:27
you're ready to go I recommend unchecking the other options we are
7:35
dealing strictly with Instagram Instagram very unique platform may have
7:39
different image specifications and it's best to tailor ads to a very specific
7:44
platform next click over to your ads section next you just click on this
7:51
button to select your page you manage multiple pages make sure you select the
7:55
right over here on the right you're gonna see the preview of the ad show up
7:59
as you build it and you'll notice right here this link you need to click on this
8:03
I don't understand why they make you go through this step but you need actually
8:07
click on the link that says use the Instagram account connected to the
8:10
selected Facebook page I don't know what other Instagram account I would be using
8:14
the next step is going to be to place the URL of the website you want to drive
8:20
traffic to whether it's a YouTube video or a blog post or product you're trying
8:24
to push you'll notice over here in the preview they have a learn more but links
8:28
are not available in normal Instagram post the only way you can link out is
8:32
the link that you put in your BIOS I'm sure you've seen people that are very
8:35
active and successful on Instagram will put up a promotional image and then in
8:40
the description it'll say click on the link in my bio to find out more we can
8:45
surpass that by spending a few dollars on an ad target exactly who you are have
8:49
seen it and drive them directly to your blog post and since it's a brand new
8:53
platform there's not a lot of demand yet these clips are really really cheap this
8:58
is why I'm excited about Instagram hats and oh there's more in this case I want
9:02
to promote a blog post that covers building authority and credibility on
9:06
line by getting covered by the media it's a big topics it my business partner
9:10
and I are pushing right now and people seem to be responding to it favorably so
9:14
just copy the URL and paste it in the next few months into your text one of
9:20
the tricks that I've really enjoyed playing with Instagram is typing up when
9:26
I wanna say in an Instagram post in Notepad so I can separate paragraphs and
9:32
I also like using emojis to really draw attention to the description in
9:36
Instagram unfortunately after running some experiments all of the paragraph
9:42
spacing that I tried to put in and the emojis windup going away when I publish
9:48
the ad so unfortunately emojis and separating paragraphs by pasting in from
9:54
notepad don't work also we have a character limitation unlike normal
10:01
Instagram posts so just be brief and to the point also has tags aren't going to
10:07
get your add any more organic reach however if there is a hashtag that
10:11
you're promoting or that you use regularly and you're trying to stay on
10:14
top of it dominate it can't hurt to use it and possibly get some ancillary
10:19
benefits from people seeing that you've got other stuff showing up in that
10:23
hashtag however your main objective in running these ads really is to get
10:26
people to click on the button and go to your blog post or your product page or
10:31
your YouTube video you also want your image to make people wanna look down and
10:35
see what that but missed in the five days or so that i've had access to
10:40
Instagram had so far I've had plenty of AD rejected because I just wanted to see
10:44
what I can get away with what I found is their image specifications are pretty
10:49
strict and to the point
10:50
make sure your images high-quality 1080 by 1080 pixels is the best which means
10:55
square like with all other Facebook ads make sure image
10:58
includes no more than 20% text this image I used to promote this particular
11:03
new blog post contains almost exactly twenty percent tax between my logo down
11:08
in the lower right hand corner
11:10
the announcement in the upper left-hand corner I really push things and I had to
11:14
resize it a couple of times before the ad was accepted I tried several images
11:19
and different combinations of texts and this by far has been the best-performing
11:23
ad I don't know what it is about half my face and read tax but I've been getting
11:29
clicks to the new blog post and people are clicking on the call to action and
11:33
signing up to learn more so that's exactly what I want to have happen for
11:37
my Instagram ads
11:38
the other thing is you don't have to have the button say learn more
11:42
you can't have it say anything you want but the power editor gives you several
11:45
options restricted to apply now
11:48
Book now contact us donate now download learn more
11:53
shop now sign up and watch more in this case is a blog post so I want them to
11:59
learn more
12:00
that's the best call to action of my available options I would like a read
12:04
more but apparently that's not currently available
12:08
the other exciting option with Instagram adds his ability to add video as opposed
12:14
to an image this is a little Instagram teaser trailer I put together for a new
12:18
YouTube video I'm trying to promote a little bit of caution you'll notice I'm
12:22
using the YouTube logo they do not like that I didn't actually use this trailer
12:27
because they don't like me using trademark stuff I also tried using the
12:32
new YouTube logo which is a red rectangle with a white play button in
12:37
the middle of it actually putting a play button in the middle of an image is
12:41
against Facebook's ad policies and I knew that but I wanted to see what I can
12:45
get away with also you can see that I've got way more than 20% text here that
12:50
also caused this trailer to get rejected as in the making of this video I'm still
12:54
experimenting with what I can get away with on video ads are getting plenty
12:57
rejected I've got a few accepted I'm trying to decide whether video ads are
13:01
worse running over picture add some using a video version
13:05
and a picture version to promote the same thing in the same ad set to see
13:09
which performs better you can see over here in this ad said I've got video
13:13
version one picture version one and as he's run and play out at sea which
13:18
version actually gets more action video typically gets more attention initially
13:22
but as of right now seems that a stunning picture with simple tax is
13:26
getting more actual clicks and as far as the ads go that's what I want you'll
13:31
also notice down here thirty seconds that's right
13:34
normal Instagram posts restrict you to 15 seconds but right now
13:38
Instagram's letting you run an ad for 30 seconds that seems promising and I'm
13:43
definitely able to make better Instagram teaser trailers from my youtube videos
13:47
but since it's so new I'm not quite sure if it's actually gonna be advantageous
13:50
or more restricting when it comes to YouTube trailers I can see the
13:55
possibility of actually creating miniature commercials or informational
13:59
videos showing people something in more depth because you have twice the amount
14:03
of time that you normally do with Instagram videos but again that
14:06
effectiveness is still up to experimentation I'm excited to see what
14:10
we can accomplish with this though and if your season Facebook advertising
14:15
veteran then you can also do tagging and use Facebook pixels for conversion
14:21
tracking it will cover that in another video when your ads done you think it's
14:25
ready to go
14:26
scope to the green button in the upper right-hand corner and click review
14:29
changes and it will be uploaded to your Facebook Ads dashboard and all you have
14:34
to do is wait to see the Facebook Ads team approves your ad and once it's
14:37
approved it'll be running now you have something to do this weekend hope that
14:42
helps I will see you next time
14:45
whatever you do don't straighten my shell
14:49
big head

No comments:

Post a Comment